Pete Maravich Assembly Center

Pete Maravich Assembly Center

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Coaching Philosophy
Coach Tom Kelsey

When I first started coaching I was an assistant coach at Brentwood Academy in Brentwood, Tennessee. The head coach was Ricky Bowers who was a teammate of mine at Lipscomb University. From Ricky I learned about intensity.

In the state of Tennessee Ricky has won state championships in both football and basketball. He is one of the best high school in football and in basketball around. It was great to work with him because I knew what a competitor he was (Bowers was an NAIA All American at Lipscomb) and coaching with him on a daily basis I learned how important intensity towards having a successful program.”

“I was able to be a head coach for the next 6 years at both the high school and college level. It was great to be in charge of my own program and be in charge. I learned a lot being a head coach in college at an early age (26 years old), but it also involved a lot of growing pains.”

“During the 1994-95 season I had the chance to work with my college coach, Don Meyer. Coach Meyer one of the best teachers of the game of basketball anywhere. His camps, clinics, and video/DVD series are some of the finest instruction you can get from fundamentals, to motion offense, to tough man-to-man defense.

From Coach Meyer I learned about organization and passion. I was able to see how he became so successful through being preparation. He still has a strong desire to help coaches and to teach the game. Through my association with Coach, I learned that to build and maintain a successful program you have to be well organized and you have to treat your job with deep passion.

“Mark Gottfried hired me in 1995 to be an assistant coach at Murray State University. We were fortunate to have success and then moved onto the University of Alabama. Mark has been coach of the year in both the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) and the Southeastern Conference (SEC). Everywhere Mark has been he has had success as a player and a coach. From Mark I learned the power of being focused. When it comes to recruiting, scouting, practice-planning Mark was able to stay driven to whatever was the task in front of him. Working with him for six years, I can see how he continues to have success. Mark taught me the value of stay focused to a vision, a recruit or any aspect of building a basketball program.”

I am grateful for the coaches that hired me as a part of their coaching staffs because each one was instrumental in help to develop my coaching philosophy. Each of the coaches I worked for have in some way influenced decisions I make each day regarding our program here at Belhaven College.

Through the years, I have had numerous assistant coaches and student coaches that gave me insights on how to teach and reach young people. I get to have a great job working at a fantastic institution and work with some of the best kids around.