Pete Maravich Assembly Center

Pete Maravich Assembly Center

Friday, May 14, 2010

A Prayer About Trust-Stress

A Prayer About Trust-Stress

The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The LORD is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes. Psalm 118:6-9

Dear Lord Jesus, I’ve just woken up, and though I’m yawning my way through my first cup of coffee into your presence, I find you fully alert and engaged, as always. What a Savior you are… you never sleep nor slumber… you never need a break or a vacation… you never get bored with me, or any of your children… you never grow weary or roll your eyes and say, “When will he ever ‘get it’?” I praise you for your constancy and compassion… and your singular trustworthiness.

     Indeed, Jesus, I begin this day so thankful that you can be fully trusted… you alone, but I’m sad and concerned for friends who are living in stories of painful trust-stress. Invariably, we’re going to disappoint one another… we’re going to fail one another, as mere men. But that never makes it okay. The gospel doesn’t make us immune to the pain of bruised-trust… broken-trust… or battered-trust. Grace is not a numbing spiritual anesthetic for hurting hearts. To be Spirit-filled doesn’t mean to be denial-filled.

     It’s never easy, it’s not supposed to be easy when a spouse breaks the trust of their spouse. We’re not supposed to “get used to” having leaders let us down, yet again. It’s not a sign of spiritual maturity to feel nothing when a friends break confidences… break promises… or simply takes a break from us without any explanation.

     “What can man do to me?” Plenty, Lord, plenty. BUT… with you as our refuge… with you as our very present help… with you as our advocate, intercessor, and sovereign Lord and gracious Redeemer… with you as the only prince that can be trusted—the Prince of Peace, we don’t have to grow more angry, flint-hard, dangerously isolated, and/or toxically cynical. And that is what it means to “…look in triumph over my enemies!”

     Jesus, give to my bevy of friends from your bounty of grace. What does refuge look like today for those who are heavily trust-stressed? Jesus make it clear… please draw near. So very Amen, I pray, in your singular trustworthy name.